Sunday 17 February 2013

Coldplay vs Satriani


Some few months ago, my friends and I watched Coldplay live tour in a movie theater in our town (yeah so this concert is recorded and broadcasted live throughout the world only for one day and only in theaters).


After the concert, I had a chat with my boyfriend about it and this thing came out where he didn’t watch it with his friends because he has no interest in Coldplay anymore.


Turns out that he’s still feel somewhat offended about the copyright infringement case between Coldplay and his favorite guitarist, Joe Satriani, where he sued Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida” to be copying his work “If I Could Fly” which was made and released in 2004.


At that time I wasn’t very curious and ignoring my boyfriend’s comments and feelings about Coldplay, but then I got curious.


Many people said that:
1. Viva La Vida have the exact same tempo and groove with If I Could Fly
2. Viva La Vida also have the same chord changes with If I Could Fly, the difference is only at the beginning.


Tried to find the difference and also googled it. For a really ill-informed discussion of this case, you can check out the comments on the Satriani YouTube post. For a more music-theory based discussion of their similarity, check out this excellent YouTube video from a guitar instructor in Canada.




Joe Satriani – If I Could Fly




Coldplay - Viva La Vida







Well,
What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment